Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October Service Project at Baylor Sammons Cancer Center

For our October service  project, we wanted to do something in support of the cure for cancer.  Cancer has touched our family numerous times.
 
 
 
Luckily, a friend of mine from TYPOS (Neva Bell) volunteers at Baylor. I had emailed and called and no luck... that is until I asked Neva.
 
Neva helped to put me in contact with Pam and she set us up with a tour to visit the nurses with Kathy and Neva.
 
So... we prepped!
 

 
 
We bought baskets and candy.... and made little notes to attach to flowers...
 
It was important to me to thank the nurses - because my Aunt Jeanne is a nurse... a fantastic nurse and she doesn't/didn't get thanked enough.
 
 
When I spoke to Lester... she told me that mint, butterscotch and lemon were all "go-to's" when she had her chemo done...
 
so that's what we bought!
 
And we wanted the patients to know that WE have been there... we have loved ones that have been in those exact shoes.
 
So we are doing this for THEM to... on behalf of my Aunt Trisha, Kimmie, Lester and Sam because we know that there are people that were great to them too.
 

 
My mom bought the flowers... and we attached sweet little notes for our nurses
 

 


Tristan was so proud of his basket and ready to share his "candies" - we have been discussing all week why he can't have them... that they are there for OTHER people, not for our family.

Like the fake smile?  LOL


Mom helped T deliver every flower...


Daddy took pics and helped us deliver candy



So thankful that Baylor let us in...


and for Neva for making it all possible.


This fabulous kitchen is where they teach patients to cook healthy  meals.  What a brilliant idea!



and they had these fabulous trees up - such amazing decorating there. I wish we took more pictures!!


Ms. Kathy taking Tristan in to deliver flowers


I snagged a picture with one of the nurses who just received a Gerber daisy!


then I saw this at the bookstore and was reminded... I AM RICH.


It's good to give back... you get soooo much more than you could even imagine. 
 
My. Heart. Is. Full
 
God bless those nurses, doctors and these poor people - may we find a cure for cancer!!!
 
_________________________________________
 
Sidenote from Neva after I came back to the office:
 
 
From: Neva Bell [mailto:nevaowensbell@verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:55 AM
To: Barber, Julie
Subject: Re: Service Project
 
Julie,
 Your visit could not have been any better or more timely.  Pam wants photos!  The nurses lost one of their own yesterday (brain aneurysm) so precious Tristan, the flowers, candy and your caring visit must have been wonderful for them.
So enjoyed meeting your mom and being with all of you.
 Hugs and thanks again,
Neva

No comments:

Post a Comment